Re: everything except for ping in IPmasq

On Fri, Dec 15, 2000 at 10:17:02PM -0800, Nate Amsden wrote:
> David Purton wrote:
> >
> > Hi I've sort of got ip masqerading working now, in that I can browse the
> > web, ssh and ftp, etc from masqed machines, but ping does not work :(
> >
> > this was a hassle beacause I was using ping to test and it took me some
> > time to realise that anything was happening at all.
> >
> > when I ping an internet ip address from a masqed machine, the requests
> > time out (even with long timeouts)
> >
> > tracert gets as far as the gateway (192.168.0.1) before everything else
> > times out.
> >
> > the masqed machine is a win95 box.
> >
> > any ideas?
>
> be sure ICMP masq is enabled in the kernel config.

well i thought i'd help out the newbies by translating
"kernel config" to an actual file name or program name, but i
ran into the wall again--

	> locate config | wc -l
	3026
	> locate config | grep kernel | wc -l
	2267

i tried modconf, but under ipv4 drivers i only saw

	ip_gre            + IP: GRE tunnels over IP
	ip_masq_autofw    - IP: ipautofw masquerade support (Experimental)
	ip_masq_cuseeme   - (No description available)
	ip_masq_ftp       + (No description available)
	ip_masq_irc       - (No description available)
	ip_masq_mfw       - IP: ipmarkfw masquerade support
	ip_masq_portfw    - IP: ipportfw masquerade support
	ip_masq_quake     - (No description available)
	ip_masq_raudio    - (No description available)
	ip_masq_user      + (No description available)
	ip_masq_vdolive   - (No description available)
	ipip              - IP: tunneling
	rarp              - Reverse ARP server

similar in function or name, but not quite what the doctor
ordered, eh?

aha! there's a text file /boot/config-`uname -r` (i.e. your
kernel version will be appended to the name of the config file)
that will show what options are set in the current kernel you're
running: so, just

	grep ICMP /boot/config-`uname -r`

to find what options are set for ICMP. in my kernel config,
there was only one line.

there y'are!

--
will@serensoft.com    ***    http://www.dontUthink.com/

help next week's NEWBIEs by showing them how YOU overcame a
linux obstacle -- http://www.eGroups.com/messages/newbieDoc