exim--forward-filtering

I'm using IMAP for my mail and had a few questions about exim.

I noticed in /usr/share/doc/exim/README.Debian has a short little example of
.forward files.  Do .forward files have to be used on a per user basis or can
I put the files somewhere where it is globally used?

What are .forwared files anyway?  Are they kind of like filter rules for an
email client?

I saw that /usr/share/doc/exim/filter.txt explains a lot about filters, is
there anything a little less "technical".

Anyone got any sample .forward or filter files they would be willing to share?

TIA,
Jesse