Re: modprobe module problem (char-major-10-135)

> How do I fix the following?
>
> modprobe: modprobe: Can't locate module char-major-10-135
>
> This appears when booting my potato box. Why does this come up?
> I mean, what is missing / wrong?

What special privileges does the Real Time Clock enjoy?  For the
longest time after I had compiled a 2.2.17 kernel, this error would
appear in the log-files. I'd comment out the line in modules.conf and
the errors would cease. I'd re-rerun update-modules (for whatever
independent reason) and the line would re-appear un-commented in
modules.conf and the error-messages would resume. It took me a while
to figure out that it was re-appearing in modules.conf because there
was a corresponding entry in /etc/modutils/arch/i386.  I deleted the
line from that file and the error messages ceased.

What I'm curious about, though, is how the line ever came to be in the
i386 file within /etc/modutils/arch.  I always say no (not M) to that
option when configuring the kernel,

Jim