can't start X

Hopefully this is a simple problem. As root I can start and run X
without any problem, however as a user I get the message when using
startx: X: user not authorized to run the X server, aborting. If I just
run X I get the same message. If I run XFree86 I get

Fatal server error:
xf86OpenConsole: server must be setuid root

This is with XFree86 v4.0.2 rc3 on woody. This seems to be only a recent problem
croped up in the last couple of days. Any ideas how to fix this. What
file is the server? or do I have to add my user to some group or
another. This doesn't happen if I use XFree compiled myself so I assume
this is a debian problem.

Please cc me on reply as I am not subscribed to the list.

Thanks

James Carscadden
JamesCarscadden@home.com