strange fonts problem with X4

I'm running woody (kernel 2.2.17) on a laptop with a Neomagic graphic
card. Since the upgrade to X4 almost one month ago I am having the
following problem, which has not disappeared with the last upgrades.

When I use X4 some fonts are not properly displayed (e.g. some of the
fonts in netscape, and the ps files with gv). Using gnome-term, WHAT I
TYPE is displayed very badly, so that it is almost unreadable, while text
that has not been JUST TYPED by me, is displayed well. If I recall
something just typed from the history, it is displayed properly.

The same happens with emacs: if I open a file, it is displayed well. If I
make some changes these get displayed in an awful way. But if I just go
down one page, and then come back to the place where I have just written,
what I just wrote is now displayed well. Indeed, if I just pass with the
cursor on something well displayed, it becomes scrambled.

I don't know what configuration file is wrong. I am running xfs and
xutils. Before the upgrade everything was fine.

Thanks in advance

Alessandro