Re: Redhat to Debian: migrating a multi-user server

Ethan Benson wrote:
> uid's 100 - 999 are reserved for the packaging system/daemons etc.
> you won't likely have a problem but it would be better to migrate to
> debian policy anyway.

It's perfectly safe to keep those users starting at 500.  Debian
packages that want an id in the 100-999 range will dynamically allocate
it with adduser, which will never trample over an existing user, and it
doesn't matter what user id it picks.

I have my user id as 500 on a bunch of systems, a holdover from 5 years
ago when I ran redhat. Never experienced any problems at all due to it.

--
see shy jo