Re: Redhat to Debian: migrating a multi-user server

I have seen a situation where a system that began on Slackware was
migrated to Debian years ago. Several Debian upgrades have been done
since then. There are user ids between 500 and 100 and there hasn't been
any problems. Hopefully this isn't an accident going somewhere to happen.

One idea might be to do a search and replace on the passwd file, placing a
1 (or 2, etc) in front of the existing user id. That would necessitate
changing the ids on the user's files. I had a similar situation and wrote
a Perl script to read the passwd file and change the ownership,
permissions, etc. It would need to be tweaked a little, but if you want I
can send it to you.

Ernest Johanson
Web Systems Administrator
Fuller Theological Seminary