Re: What is VNC?

will trillich wrote:

> On Mon, Dec 11, 2000 at 10:20:03AM +0100, Manegold wrote:
> > Hi!
> > I'm wondering what VNC is. According to the package listing it is a
> > remote display system. Therefore something like X.
> > But what does that mean? Can I use it instead of X?
> > Does it need special apps that make use of it, or can normal X/KDE/Gnome
> > - apps make use of it?
> > What are the advantages of VNC over X?
>
> based on my understanding, none. VNC on linux/unix USES the
> x window system, so it's not either-or.

  that's not exactly true. vnc server IS X server. vnc viewer is either
x program or svga program (or something else on different machine).

  if you would run the programs and view the programs only on local
machine, it indeed makes no sense to use vnc.

  the main difference is that vnc can be viewed from anywhere, you can
disconnect the viewer and all the programs continue to run (since they
are connected to vnc server), you can reconnect from other places (from
many places simultaneously)... which is a huge advantage in certain
situations.

  when using straight X, you usually run the programs that connect to
the X server, the X server displays them. with vnc there is one more
added 'gap' - vnc server does not really display anything, it just sends
image to vnc viewer(s). you can achieve the same with regular X server
using rfb (IIRC, it was ITP'd recently) [I think rfb is also the name of
the protocol vnc uses].

> windows and mac systems use drawing toolbox routines to present
> windows, icons, graphics, menubars, title bars and so forth.
> X does the same thing.
>
> VNC is a client-server pair, which is designed to run cross-
> platform, that'll intercept those drawing routines from the
> server, and plop them into a window on the client. "gimme a
> rectangle! fill it with teal! reverse this region! i need a
> circle! copy this bitmap into that area! draw the mouse cursor
> over here...." and if it happens fast enough, the client
> actually appears to be clicking and interacting with the server,
> even if it's in bora-bora and you're in poughkeepsie.
>
> if your client and server are both linux, then VNC is simply
> unnecessary overhead. X can send its displays to just about any

  that's true when you run & view locally, otherwise you might want to
take advantage of disconnect/reconnect feature of vnc.

> port on any tcp/ip address, all you gotta do is find the right
> documentation that'll show you how to set it up. and there's the
> rub.
>
> but if you wanna administer your linux server from your mac
> or windo~1 box, the cross-platform VNC will work wonders.
> it's darn near magic!
>
> at least, that's the way i read it... ymmv!

  it really shines when you want to work on windows or mac remotely
because there is no other easy/free way to do it. if you want to
administer linux from windows you can use X server for windows. I guess
there are X server for mac too. at least for mac X:-)

  but if you are accessing linux over not very reliable network, vnc is
godsent as well.

	erik