Re: What is VNC?

On Mon, Dec 11, 2000 at 10:20:03AM +0100, Manegold wrote:
> Hi!
> I'm wondering what VNC is. According to the package listing it is a
> remote display system. Therefore something like X.
> But what does that mean? Can I use it instead of X?
> Does it need special apps that make use of it, or can normal X/KDE/Gnome
> - apps make use of it?
> What are the advantages of VNC over X?

based on my understanding, none. VNC on linux/unix USES the
x window system, so it's not either-or.

windows and mac systems use drawing toolbox routines to present
windows, icons, graphics, menubars, title bars and so forth.
X does the same thing.

VNC is a client-server pair, which is designed to run cross-
platform, that'll intercept those drawing routines from the
server, and plop them into a window on the client. "gimme a
rectangle! fill it with teal! reverse this region! i need a
circle! copy this bitmap into that area! draw the mouse cursor
over here...." and if it happens fast enough, the client
actually appears to be clicking and interacting with the server,
even if it's in bora-bora and you're in poughkeepsie.

if your client and server are both linux, then VNC is simply
unnecessary overhead. X can send its displays to just about any
port on any tcp/ip address, all you gotta do is find the right
documentation that'll show you how to set it up. and there's the
rub.

but if you wanna administer your linux server from your mac
or windo~1 box, the cross-platform VNC will work wonders.
it's darn near magic!

at least, that's the way i read it... ymmv!

--
There are only two places in the world where time takes
precedence over the job to be done.  School and prison.

will@serensoft.com    ***    http://www.dontUthink.com/

volunteer to document your experience for next week's
newbies -- http://www.eGroups.com/messages/newbieDoc