Re: mouse attention problem

Hi Pete,

Thanks for the reply.

>is gpm running?

Yes, like so:

/usr/sbin/gpm -m /dev/psaux -t ps2 -l "a-zA-Z0-9_.:~/\300-\326\330-\366\370-\377"

>do you see any gpm messages in /var/log/messages?

Unfortunately, no.  The only reference I see to the mouse is:
"Dec 15 08:05:15 cass16 kernel: Detected PS/2 Mouse Port."
at boot time.

>do you see any wierd messages on the console that you started X from?

the messages from X seem to be problem-free.  The mouse shows up only in
the following two lines, when X starts:

(**) Mouse: type: PS/2, device: /dev/mouse, resolution: 100
(**) Mouse: buttons: 3, 3 button emulation (timeout: 50ms)

Now, this last comment got me poking around, and I found I was using
an old driver for my video card (XBF_NeoMagic).  So, I moved up to the
one that came under dselect with xfree86 (3.3.6-11potato):
/usr/bin/X11/XF86_SVGA

Unfortunately, this didn't fix the mouse.

Any other thoughts?  Might it help to go to XFree86 4.0.1 ?

Biff

>On Thu 14 Dec 00, 11:22 AM, William Heindl said...
...snip...
>> I have a problem with the focus of my mouse.  Intermittently (maybe
>> 10% of the time), the mouse focus fails to change to the new window
>> I'm pointing at.   So, I aim at a new window, but my keystrokes come
>> up in the last window I was typing in.  Sometimes it even seems like
>> I'm trying to type on the desktop, as I get a warning beep at every
>> keystroke.   Oddly, when this is happening I can still paste the mouse
>> buffer into the desired window. =20
>>=20
>> This problem started a while back, but unfortunately I'm not sure what
>> I changed.
>>=20
>> I'm running kernel 2.2.14 on an IBM 560Z Thinkpad.  I recently updated
>> to xfree86 3.3.6-11potato, but this didn't fix things.  Also, I run
>> olvwm, but I tried other window managers and that didn't help.  And,
>> I am setup for input area select  by pointing and not clicking.
>>=20

...snip....