Re: remote management

On Thu, Dec 14, 2000 at 05:31:57PM -0600, Matt Fair wrote:
:I am managing my server remotely using ssh.   If my network connection
:goes down for some reason, I have no control over it, is there a way
:where I could check to see if there is a network connection and then
:restart the connection?

best option is to recompile the kernel on the server to put the
console out to serial port (is this default in debian kernels? if not
what problems does it create, I always roll mine that way), then you
can hang a modem off the serial port and even if the networking on the
server breaks you can get in to try and fix it.

what you probably want to do is write a script that checks periodicly
to see if there's an active ssh connection from your machine to the
server (using netstat -t and some regexp magic), if so sleep for n
time and check again, if not try to establish a connection, if that
fails sleep for n' time and try again.

-Jon