Re: ssh dpkg question

Andrew Hall <ahall@secureworks.net> wrote:
>This may be silly, but here goes.  I have downloaded the new version os
>ssh due to the security announcement a little bit ago.  Looking at its
>depends I see that it requires libz1 but I can not find that package
>anywhere on the debian site.  I do have zlib1g installed.  What's the
>difference between the two packages?  Can anyone tell me why there
>would be that dependency to a package that as far as I can tell does
>not exist?   Thanks for you time.

If you do 'dpkg -p zlib1g', you'll see that it Provides: libz1. libz1 is
a virtual package, like, say, mail-transport-agent, www-browser, and so
on. Sometimes these describe functions that a package performs (so that
a news server like inn can suggest the news-reader virtual package
rather than any specific instance of it), sometimes - as in this case -
they are present for backward compatibility.

Note that the woody ssh package now depends on zlib1g directly.