Re: cd-burning

On lun, 11 dic 2000, S.Salman Ahmed wrote:

> How does overburning work ? And how far can it be taken ie how much over
> 700Mb can be burned ?

Overburning is  an old way of  protecting a CD from  being duplicated.
Some  companies burned  more than  650Mb onto  their CD-ROM's  and the
usual CD  Recorders refuse to  burn more  than 650Mb. The  problem was
solved with  CD-R's of  80min and  CD Recorders  that were  capable of
recording that amount of information.

Another strategy  for solving the  problem consists of burning  onto a
normal (74min.) CD-R more than 650Mb since CD-R's include extra-space:
the nominal  capacity is the amount  of Mb that can  be burned without
any risk (e.g.  656Mb) while the maximal capacity (e.g.  775Mb) is the
nominal capacity  plus the extra Mb's  included in the CD-R  to ensure
that  no risk  exists when  burning data  up to  the nominal  capacity
(remember  that tapes  always  include some  extra  minutes). This  is
called overburning.

Some  programs (I  only know  CD-R Identifier  for Windoze)  gives the
nominal and  maximal capacity of your  CD-R's. Thus, you can  know how
much overburning can be done.

All you need is a CD Recorder which supports overburning and a CD-R with
more that 650Mb. You can not burn over the maximal capacity, and burning
over the nominal capacity is a risk.

> Will the overburnt CD work with all readers ?

I think there's no problem with  that. 80min. CD-R's can not work with
all readers.

--
Santi