Re:debian archive path

Hi there,
                 I recently bought debian2.2 and am having trouble installing it.  Everything goes well right up to 'install operating system kernal & modules'.  I select this option and then choose cd rom as my medium for installation.  Instead of just initialising the loading sequence it asks me to 'choose the debian archive path.  No matter what I enter debian informs me that it can't find 'images-1.44/compact/rescue.bin' file which it insists is essential to load o/s kernal + modules. So I write to the debian users for help and they tell me the path should be something like'instmnt/dists/potato/main/disks-i386/images-1.44/compact/rescue.bin'  I tried this and several other variations with no joy.  In fact I truly believe I have tried every possible path.  I decide then to study the cd's on windows and there plain as day in the boot file is rescue.bin (almost the same as images-1.44/compact/rescue.bin that debian so desperately needs).  This path through boot file to rescue.bin was unacceptable according to the debian installer (usually referred to by me as debian).  You should probably also know that I am using cd two as this is the only cd out of the three that boots. I figure 1 and 3 must have all the extras on it.
        So I was wondering if you could possibly tell me the magic path to the debian archive, it truly is a mystery.

Yours sincerely
                       horelacy@hotmail.com   (or this e-mail address).

                           I am registered with debian users as horelacy@hotmail.com
 P.S. the reason why 'instmnt/dists/potato/main/dists-i386/images-1.44/compact/rescue.bin' didn't work was because it wouldn't accept it as an input command