strange gpm behavior

I've been having trouble with gpm not working after an upgrade (a while
ago.  the latest update (woody) still doesn't work).

When I run "cat /dev/psaux" and move the mouse, garbage comes out as
expected.

I have found that this command gets gpm working:

   # strace gpm -D -m /dev/psaux -tps2

   When I move the mouse, strace spits out more data, as expected.

Amazingly, these commands fail:

   # gpm -D -m /dev/psaux -tps2
   # strace gpm -D -m /dev/psaux -tps2 &> /dev/null

   # gpm -m /dev/psaux -tps2
   # strace gpm -m /dev/psaux -tps2

Note that -D causes gpm to not exit as a daemon.  By "fail" I mean I
get no error messages and no mouse on the screen.

What on earth is going on here??

Please CC: responses.

--
Pat Mahoney	<patmahoney@gmx.net>

For children with short attention spans: boomerangs that don't come back.