Re: ssh as root

You can't connect to another box with ssh using the root account.  It's a
security feature.  The default is to use your current username, which would be
root in this instance.  A way to get around this is with the -l option and then
su on the remote box.
So, #ssh -l user_name_to_login_as remotehost
I don't use scp directly, but I use sftp, and it supports the -l option also.