Gnome package problems

Not sure if this is the right list or not, but since this was a problem with the install, I'll put it here.  I'm new to debian, and when I tried to install debian using the "official" 2.2 r0 x86 binary CD's from LinuxCentral, I got an error that stated something to the effect that the Gnome packages were not installed due to a package problem.  How can I check to see which packages did not get installed correctly?  I'm having a problem getting X to run, all I get is a grey screen.  I'm using the same settings I used with Slackware, so instead of trying to rack my brain to figure out where I went wrong, I wanted to check to see if it wasn't a problem with the installation of Gnome itself, or the version of the CDs I am using.  Thanks.

Mike Hansen
mhansen@crown.net