Debian Apache package

I'm relatively new to Debian and Apache (Did my first install about a month
ago).  I've gotten the apache .deb up and running without any problems, but
I've got a few questions about customizing the apache layout without
disabling suexec support

I want to set up some basic virtual hosts inside my /home directory like
this:

/home/virtualhost1
/home/virtualhost2

I want to give each virtualhost its own cgi-bin.  Based upon my
understanding of suexec, its doc root would have to be set to /home in order
for the cgi scripts to function properly.  And that the doc root
configuration for suexec must be set when it is compiled along with apache.

The Debian apache package puts the cgi-bin in this directory:
/usr/lib/cgi-bin

I figure that the suexec doc root is probably set to this directory and that
if I were to create cgi-bin directories inside my virtualhost directories
the scripts within them would break.

Now I should probably mention that I have compiled apache from source before
on a Red hat web server for my employer.  And I did it for the same reason
(to change suexec's doc root)
So I've been considering grabbing the source for apache and recompiling it
on my debian system with the same layout, except for the aforementioned
changes.

Before I do that and possibly break my system, does anyone have any advice
or suggestions?  Or perhaps there is a very good reason why the apache .deb
is set up this way that I'm totally missing?

I'm also new to the debian mailing lists and wondered if it would be
appropriate to send this sort of question to the package maintainer.

Thanks in advance.

eirik