Re: XDM and Variable X Server Configurations?

On Tue, Dec 12, 2000 at 01:39:58PM -0700, John Stevens wrote:
> I'm asking 'cause my boys are the ones who want to be able to play this
> game (Quake II), and while a seven year old can do GUI, as it is the
> simplest way to get this stuff done, command line activities may be a
> bit much, especially as they are familiar with XDM and etc, but not the
> command line stuff.

I've a similar problem at home, my kids sometimes creep on my machine
when I'm away but still have things running in X.

What I did was added this to their ~/.bash_profile:

if [ `tty` = /dev/tty6 ]; then
   exec startx -- :1
fi

Now they have to remember the secret keystrokes that get them to the 6th
virtual console and simply login. X is started and you're automatically
switch to the proper console. You could even add "-c /path/to/quake" to
the startx invocation, and they would be trown into their favorite game.

--
groetjes, carel