Re: XDM and Variable X Server Configurations?

On Tue, Dec 12, 2000 at 11:06:40AM -0800, Erik Steffl wrote:
>   I'd suggest either use 16 bpp

Acckk!!  No, thanks.  I regularly do true color graphics work.

I need all 24 bits.

> all the time or simply switch to virtual
> console, run startx -- -bpp 16 and use this second X server for GL stuff

Yeah, I thought about this, but that is not a user friendly option.

I'm asking 'cause my boys are the ones who want to be able to play this
game (Quake II), and while a seven year old can do GUI, as it is the
simplest way to get this stuff done, command line activities may be a
bit much, especially as they are familiar with XDM and etc, but not the
command line stuff.

>   or modify xdm config to start two X servers - one with your regular
> settings, the other one for 3D stuff
>
>   there are probably some other ways as well.
>
>   most of the X server that you are not using at given time would be
> swapped out I guess, so you only need sufficient amount of swap space,
> not RAM.

Which still requires them having to figure out what screen the "Quake II
X server" is running on and to remember the two sets of special key strokes
neccesary to switch between VT's . . . but, yeah, that may be the only way.

Anybody else . . . any suggestions?

Maybe I should just bite the bullet and hack this into XDM . . .

John S.