Sound card interrupt problem (ESS ES1878)

Hello...

I recently installed Debian on a Compaq Armada 7770DMT laptop
with an ES 1878 sound card. I've compiled support for the Soundblaster
into the kernel (2.2.17), which allows me to play audio cds, but gives a weird
echo effect when I try to play wave files using 'play'.

I've compiled the kernel twice, once using IRQ 7 and once IRQ
8, with the same effects. Here is the relevant section from
dmesg...

Sound initialization started
ESS chip ES1878 detected
ESS1688: Invalid IRQ 8
sb: Interrupt test on IRQ8 failed - Probable IRQ conflict
<ESS ES1878 AudioDrive (rev 11) (3.01)> at 0x220 irq 8 dma 1,5
Sound initialization complete

Does anyone have any ways of changing the IRQ and DMA settings
without recompiling the kernel, or suggestions for the correct
settings, or how to come by then?

Thanks

Tiarnán Ó Corráin <ocorrain@esatclear.ie>
  "Parturient montes, nascetur ridiculus mus."

---

GPG fingerprint: 4A05 1FC3 5370 2696 C60D  59DD 71AF EBEF 1AE6 018F
GPG public key at: http://www.esatclear.ie/~blackpitts/ocorrain.gpg