Re: downloading Debian

on Mon, Dec 11, 2000 at 06:35:09PM -0800, Xucaen (xucaen@yahoo.com) wrote:
> --- kmself@ix.netcom.com wrote:
> > However, in general, you're far better off grabbing the minimal
> > images necessary to do a local installation and complete your
> > installation off the Internet with apt-get.
>

> this sounds like fun.  :-) I've been contemplating my options and I
> think installing from the base disk sets would be good. it would at
> least give me a better understanding of and more control over what is
> actually being installed. (as opposed to installing _everything_)

Essentially, yes.  Check the latest docs on how to do a network
installation.  I believe you need to download about 2-3 floppies worth
of boot disk, and a ~15 MB (30MB installed) base root filesystem image.

Everything else installed via apt-get.  I've set up about a half-dozen
system this way over the past year and a half or so.

> Is the apt-get difficult to set up?

Nope.  Just set up /etc/apt/sources.list.  The following should get you
started:

    # apt package archives
    deb http://http.us.debian.org/debian stable main contrib non-free
    deb http://non-us.debian.org/debian-non-US stable/non-US main contrib non-free

> also, does it have a way of picking up where it left off in the event
> of a lost carrier? (33.6 and still modulating!)

Automajickally part of the whole schmeil.  That's the great thing.

Well.  If you lose carrier (not too long), you'll reconnect.  If you
need to restart an "apt-get dist-upgrade", it will automatically pick up
on the packages it had in process.

My recommendation is to do a ***MINIMAL*** installation first, then to
add functionality to your system slowly.  Give yourself a day or two to
get basic functionality up and running, a week for a core system, and a
couple of months before you consider things largely stable.  My
experience was that I had a *much* deeper understanding of my system
this way.