Re: SCREENSHOT - what software/method to use

on Mon, Dec 11, 2000 at 11:05:03PM -0800, Osamu Aoki (debian@aokiconsulting.com) wrote:
> I am looking for screenshot program/method for X in debian
> potato distribution.  Just give me a pointer where I can find
> how to do it.

Various methods -- there's more than one way to skin a cat.

My preferred MO is 'import', part of the imagemagick package.  I usually
import the image into 'xv' for some color and brightness adjustment or
resizing.

My own results are visible at
http://kmself.home.netcom.com/Images/Desktop/.

I've been meaning to add a colophon explaining methods to this page.

Other options:

  - xv allows imports of single or multiple windows.

  - gimp allows screenshotting, also the *best* way to touch up a
    complex shot.

  - xwd (X window dump) is the old-fashioned method.  It's slow and the
    output needs to be converted to a usable format.  Not recommended.