How to verify TrueType fonts are working?

I have XF86Free 4.0.1 and followed docs on installing true type fonts, which were to copy the tt fonts from my W95 box, use ttmkfdir, and change the config file XF86Config-4.  I also stopped and started the xfs service.  I use gnome and netscape and netscape does not list the true type fonts as I one doc said it should.  How do I verify the true type fonts are working?  Do I have to verify for each application?  I understand netscape is different.

Want a new web-based email account ? ---> http://www.firstlinux.net