Re: ssh woes!?...

On Mon, Dec 11, 2000 at 04:49:56PM +0000, Max Lock wrote:

> I've got a weird ssh problem. I'm running 2.2r0 and when I ssh
> as root to another 2.2r0 system, I get as far as debug:
> Allocated local port 607 with the -v option, and it then hangs
> and timesout?  Anyone got any ideas or hit this one before?

Hello,

It's happened to me too.  Here is the relevant snip from
/usr/share/doc/ssh/README.Debian

 "PermitRootLogin:
  ----------------
  The default for this setting has been changed from Yes to No,
  for security reasons.  Simply switch it back on in
  /etc/ssh/sshd_config if you need to log in as root, although I
  would recommend that you use real usernames for remote logins,
  and then use su, or perhaps preferably sudo, to become root.
  This allows you to determine which of the sysadmins it is that
  is logged in as root, if needed, and encourages sysadmins not
  to be root at all times"

Regards,
Raghavendra.

--
N. Raghavendra <raghu@mri.ernet.in> |
Harish-Chandra Research Institute   | When the cup is full,