Re: inetd questions

On Monday 11 December 2000 10:15, Ethan Benson wrote:

> > On Mon, Dec 11, 2000 at 10:04:43AM -0700, Myles Green wrote:
> > On Monday 11 December 2000 04:29, David Purton wrote:
> > > this stems from the lack of imagination used by my dad in
> > > password picking...
> >
> > I use the following to generate passwords:
> >
> > cat /dev/urandom | od -s8 -An
> >
> > It might take a minute or so before it starts spitting out
> > potential passwords and you will have to stop with a ^C (ctrl+C)
> > when you think you have enough.
>
> this method seems to generate passwords with binary crap in them,
> perhaps you should try makepasswd instead?  it uses /dev/random (or
> urandom not sure with atm) and generates ascii passwords ;-)

Huh? WTF are you smoking? There's no binary stuff there, just a _good_
mix of upper and lower case plus numbers and other keyboard symbols.

$ cat /dev/urandom | od -s8 -An
$3,y3?es
w3[Am'4j.
)w{'375u
l]TqFCG3
V}gJR'CKQ
NLUy1~,C:
hw`wur0Apht
P75<D@l8a
P=>*iJc4A

By any standards, those will be tough passwords to crack. Of course
it's your box and you can use your birth date if you want, just don't
expect it to reamain a secret for very long.

--
Myles Green Calgary AB Canada
http://linuxsteps.webjump.com/