Re: configuring debian for network mail clients

Hi Dwight,

read this on debian-user, but there was a different mailing-list
refered to in the To: header, so I'm cc-ing you/debian-user instead.

On Sun, Dec 10, 2000 at 03:33:58PM -0500, Dwight Johnson wrote:
> When she tries to read her mail using Eudora, she gets a message that
> her connection has been refused. When she tries to send mail, she gets
> a message that she must change the address to one local to the debian
> system (@runner) before delivery can take place.

to read mail via tcp from your debian box you need a pop or a imap deamon
running on your debian box. Normally they are triggered from inetd.

to send mail via your debian box you need to tell exim it's okee to relay
mail for your local domain (in particular for your wife's machine).

> (I think I remember setting this up in /etc/sendmail.cw on my Red Hat/sendmail
> box.)

now you need to tinker with /etc/exim.conf, you could consider running
eximconfig (again) and fill in the domain for which you are prepared to
relay mail, or read in the excellent exim info pages to look for the
settings for relayhost.

--
groetjes, carel