startx -- client arguments not respected

This problem appears to be related to an existing bug against
xlients-base (#65787), though I don't believe it has the same source.
I'm trying to figure out just where the problem is arising.

The documented behavior of the 'startx' command is that it can be
invoked specifying a client or client arguments, or server arguments.

    startx [ [client] options ... ] [ -- [ server ] options ... ]

E.g.:

    $ startx
    $ startx -- -bpp 8
    $ startx -fg green -bg red
    $ startx rxvt
    $ startx startkde

It's the last two examples which don't work.  X starts, then dies, with
the message, e.g.:

    xterm:  bad command line option "rxvt"

I believe I've determined that startx itself is not the problem -- I've
modified it so that it echos rather than execs its xinit command, and
calling xinit in a similar fashion produces the same error, e.g.:

    $ xinit rxvt

...produces the same error.

My understanding is that xinit invokes xinitrc and xserverrc.
/etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc (or /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xinit/xinitrc) consist of:

    #!/bin/sh
    # $XConsortium: xinitrc.cpp,v 1.4 91/08/22 11:41:34 rws Exp $

    # /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc
    #
    # global xinitrc file, used by all X sessions started by xinit (startx)

    # invoke global X session script
    . /etc/X11/Xsession

...which makes me suspect that it's Xsession which is at fault.  Or am I
missing something.

Anyone else noticing and/or trying to trace this issue?