Sound problem

Hi,

   I started Debian 2.2 a few weeks ago. Recently I've been able to configure
my YAMAHA sound chip with the opl3sa2 driver, but I'm baffled by a problem:
I can drive the CD and gmix (Gnome mixer) only if I log in as root. When I
log in as normal user I can drive the CD with gcd but I can't here anything.
If I try to start gmix it tells me "no mixer found - make sure you have
sound support compiled in the kernel", which I find absurd, since as root
everything works fine. I suspect I need to grant some permission or to add
my user login to some group. Has anyone some idea about where I should
look at? I use WindowMaker as window manager.

Thanks.

gian piero