Configuring an HP JetDirect EX

I've got an HP JetDirect EX I'm trying to configure on a Debian 2.2 system
using lprng as the print spooler. My /etc/bootptab appears to be OK since
the printer lists the correct IP, netmask, gateway, et al on its status
page.

Printing to the printer in Windows works fine via the "HP_Network_Printers"
option of the JetAdmin installation. However, when I try printing to the
JetDirect using Linux I get the following error:

tweety:/etc# lpq -Pal1100
Printer: al1100@tweety (dest al1100@al1100.home.shadowstar.net) 'Epson
ActionLaser 1100'
 Queue: no printable jobs in queue
Printer 'al1100@al1100.home.shadowstar.net' - cannot open connection -
Connection refused

My /etc/printcap for this printer is as follows:

al1100|Epson ActionLaser 1100:\
        :lp=:\
        :sd=/var/spool/lpd/al1100:\
        :rm=al1100.home.shadowstar.net:\
        :lpr_bounce:\
        :sh:pw#80:pl#66:px#1440:mx#0:\
        :if=/etc/magicfilter/ljet3-filter:\
        :af=/var/log/lp-acct:\
        :lf=/var/log/lp-errs:

How should I go about getting this thing to work? I'd like to avoid having
to install the JetAdmin print provider on every machine which needs
access, and instead use my Samba server to manage the new print queue.

Alec