Re: agpgart, XFCom_810 and the Dell OctiPlex

On Sat, Dec 09, 2000 at 12:16:30PM +0100, Cajus Pollmeier wrote:

> > I helped a colleague this afternoon install 2.2r2 on his new Dell
> > Optiplex GX110. The installation went very smoothly indeed. I hadn't
> > done an install from scratch with potato, and I was really impressed.
> >
> > The problem, though, is getting X working. This is a known issue, I
> > think. These machines seem to have Intel i810 video cards, which
> > are not successfully autodetected by anXious.
> >
> > I've looked around on the web and found some information, but nothing
> > specific to Debian. If I understand correctly, these cards need a
> > kernel module called `agpgart' and they need the SVGA server.
> >
> > But I also gather that Intel has released their own version of
> > agpgart.o as well as their own X server for the i810 chipset
> > (XFCom_810). The combination of these two is said to yield better
> > performance, and the instructions on the Intel web-site seem fairly
> > clear.
> >
> > But I thought I should check here before plunging in, to see if
> > anybody has experience doing this on a Debian system, or if any of you
> > unfailingly kind and knowledgeable people had any advice or warnings
> > to offer.
>
> I'm using the agpgart package and the X-Server from Intels website for our
> X-terminals. This combinations works pretty good. The standard svga server is
> definitively slower and not that stable.

I use linux kernel 2.4.0-test10 with Debian 2.2r2 and agpgart module is an
option in kernel. I compiled it statically into kernel (I had problems
with module) and everything works very good with standard svga server.
Naturally all on Dell OptiPlex GX110.

--
|Leszek Gerwatowski|    _/_|_\
"Don't fix it if it isn't broken"