Re: problems with netscape

On Fri, Dec 08, 2000 at 04:50:30PM -0800, Lazar Fleysher wrote:

> 2. Actually, I have 2 similar machines running Linux on both of them
> 99.99% of the time. I have noticed that if I try to run netscape from my
> other machine via network, it actually starts on my local machine. I am
> not crazy!!!!  If I have netscape running on machine I am sitting at and
> connect to the second via ssh and start netscape there, what I get is the
> second netscape running on my local machine. how do I know that? I see
> which files it can access and when I do "exit" both netscape windows are
> closed. However, if I do not have netscape running on my local computer
> and just do ssh and start netscape from there, I do get what I want.
>
> Could some one explain how that can possibly happen? I repeat, I am not
> crazy, it is happening for a fact, the question is how?

The wrapper Debian uses to start Netscape first checks to see if it can
find a running instance of Netscape on the current display, and if so
just tells it to open a new window instead of creating a whole new
process etc.

Try 'netscape --no-remote', IIRC that will give you the behavior you
expect.

--
  finger for GPG public key.