Keyboard randomly generates a `

   Hi,

   This is most likely not very Debian specific but here goes.

   From time to time, I'd say at least once a day, my keyboard just
generates a '`'.
   For instance I would be scrolling in a C file in Emacs and suddenly a
'`' appears. Of course I'm absolutely certain that it's not me
accidentally hitting this key.

   I could not find any pattern: it happens in any program, whether the
keyboard has been 'idle' for a long time before or not, but it only
happens when I hit a key. I don't remember it happening in the console
but I don't spend enough time using it to rule it out.

   Also I know it does not happen in NT 4 and Win2000 (unless the
problem is with my keyboard, not the model). The keyboard is the
standard keyboard that came with a Gateway E-3110 (it says model
2196003. You can check it out here,
http://www.asahi-net.or.jp/~RJ3M-AOK/keyboard/2196003-XX-XXX.html,
except mine is a qwerty/US version.

My XF86Config 3.3.6 file says:
Section "Keyboard"
    Protocol    "Standard"
    XkbModel    "pc104"
    XkbModel    "microsoft"
EndSection
 (everything else is commented out)

   So if anyone knows what could be wrong with it let me know.

   The second feature of this keyboard is that sometimes it freezes. And
this time I know it's the model because it also happens on NT4 and
Win2000 machines. Doing a cold keyboard reboot (unpluging and replugging
it) plus a kbdrate fixes it. May be related?

--
Francois Gouget         fgouget@free.fr        http://fgouget.free.fr/
 "Only wimps use tape backup: _real_ men just upload their important stuff on