Re: apt-get insists updating gnupg with same version

Samuli Suonpaa <suonpaa@iki.fi> wrote:
>After Werner Koch posted a small security patch for GnuPG 1.0.4 in
>gnupg-announce I decided it's time to compile gnupg from sources.
>Using Potato, I already had version 1.0.4 in use.
>
>Using "apt-get source gnupg" I fetched the most current sources,
>applied the patch and built gnupg_1.0.4-1_i386.deb, which I then
>installed. Everything seemed to work fine until I - a few days later -
>told apt-get to upgrade my packages. For some reason, it decided I
>needed the newest gnupg, gnupg_1.0.4-1_i386.deb and installed
>it. After I noticed what had happenes, I - again - installed the .deb
>I had compiled and now apt-get wants to upgrade it again.

Yep, apt does magic to discourage accidents from happening (e.g. if you
file a bug against a package with some of your own patches then it
really should have a different version number, or else the maintainer
doesn't know that you've made your own changes [1]). When you make
changes yourself, edit debian/changelog and add a new entry at the top
with a slightly higher version number, but not too much higher so that
you still get real upgrades: in your case, usually something like
1.0.4-1.1 or 1.0.4-1.0.1 is a good idea.

[1] At least, that's one plausible rationale that I can think of.