Help ! Dead Woody after upgrade

Hello all;

Im running Woody on my desktop box at work. Yesterday I did an apt-get
update, apt-get upgrade. It was a while since Id done that so quite alot of
stuff got updated including the kernel. Everything seemed fine.

Later on in the day I had to reboot and I was greeted by a continual;

Lilo loading Linux .....................

Lilo loading Linux .....................

Lilo loading Linux .....................

(over and over again with no Linux Loading)

I tried the rescue option from the original potato install cd and it nearly
came back up until the screen was filled with an error message complaining
about loading kernel modules and not being able to write to the disk.

Later on I managed to mount the hardrive via another rescue disk (via
freshmeat) and tried to rerun lilo but it was confused about paths due to
/dev/hda1 having to be mounted on /mnt.

Im really lost here and would really appreciate some help.

Fingers crossed;

mallum