Re: Digital music editor?

"fsm" == Frederico S =?iso-8859-1?Q?Mu=F1oz?= <Frederico> writes:

fsm> Michael Abraham Shulman wrote:

>> Can anyone recommend a good digital music editor for Debian/Linux?
>> I'd especially like one capable of slowing down a sound file without
>> changing the pitch.  Free is preferable, but commercial would be okay
>> too if there isn't a good enough free one.

fsm> Give SoundTracker a try... it's a tracker that works with samples
fsm> and instruments, and you can import a wav file and play it with
fsm> the keyboard at different tones, speeds, etc, you can change just
fsm> about anything.

Looks good... except that there's no documentation whatsoever so I
can't figure out how to use it.  I can load a WAV file as a sample
(which takes forever if it's a complete song), but then pressing
"play" gives me no sound.  Do I have to create a pattern or track
somehow?  I can't figure it out!  Help!

On an unrelated note (and probably more on-topic), someone else
recommended Snd, which also looks good, except that it won't play
anything either.  When I try, I get an error:

can't play
  (data format 2 (mulaw (8 bits)) not available on /dev/dsp
  [audio.c[2095] oss_mus_audio_open_output])
  [snd-dac.c[1719] start_audio_output_1]

Is there something I can do to fix this?

Thanks for your patience all.

\\// | R | T R | L B | //\\ ~ Michael Abraham Shulman
mailto:shulman@caltech.edu  ~ jabber://mas@jabber.org
http://kurukshetra.cjb.net/ ~ GnuPG Public Key #21A279E5

The human brain is a wonderful thing. It starts working the moment you
are born, and never stops until you stand up to speak in public.
        -- Sir George Jessel