Re: X after booting

On Don, Dez 07, 2000 at 03:45:26 +0100, Cajus Pollmeier wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I'm trying to make some kind of automatic login for a normal user after
> booting Linux in X.
> Made a script "kiosk" and placed it in /etc/init.d, made a link for runlevel
> 4 in order to start it when typing "linux 4" at the bootprompt. The script
> contains (shortened) something like that:
>
> #!/bin/bash
> while true; do
>   su - kiosk -c /usr/X11R6/bin/startx
> done
>
> Starting this manually as root works as expected. While booting I get:
>   X: user not authorized to run the X server, aborting.
>   var: allowed_users, value: rootonly.
>   var: nice_value, value: -10.

I do this at the end of /etc/inittab:

ki:4:respawn:/bin/su test -c "cd && /usr/bin/X11/xinit"

which starts xinit as user test.
a proper $userhome/.xinitrc will start anything you like

I start fvwm95 with a very small menu. there is only one menu-entry: netscape

if X terminates init restarts it. IMHO very usable.

yours Joerg