k2.4.0 -- LSR safety engaged.

Hello,

I am trying to get the new kernel on my laptop, so I got the .deb for
the test5 version of 2.4.0.
I compiled it, it seems to run fine until I start X, where it hangs,
without a chance of appeal (Dec 12 is not my deadline though).
Looking at dmesg, I see occurences of "LSR safety engaged!"
As anyone encountered such problem?
Apparently it has to do with the UART...
(Sub question -- Is this for the kernel mailing list?)
(Sub question -- I've tried many times to vary the options I use to
compile the kernel, do I need to do a 'make mrproper' between each, or
just a make dep would suffice?)

thx,

Matthieu