Re: samba 2.0.7 vs. 2.0.5

On Wed, 06 Dec 2000 15:40:19 -0200, Rogerio Brito writes:
>On Dec 06 2000, Robert Waldner wrote:
>> I still use a 2.0.38-kernel (that box is only apt-get upgrade´d, not -
>>  dist-upgraded, to potato) because of some legacy-software, so for me
>>  it´s essential that kernel-version-dependencies are correct ;-)
>
>	Oh, I see. But I think that I read somewhere that you can make
>	Samba work fine with 2.0 kernels if you recompile it. So, that
>	may be a thing that you might try (and I sincerely don't know
>	what the package maintainer could do in this case, unless he
>	creates two packages or he includes duplicate binaries and
>	wrapper scripts).

I don´t have any problem _not_ using samba 2.0.7 but staying with
 2.0.5. There is no (and, if my opinion counts, won´t be) any
 W2k-client in my network.

If 2.0.7 depended on a kernel >=2.2 apt wouldn´t have upgraded
 samba, and I´d had about 2 hours more time for something else which
 I`ve spent trying to get 2.0.7 to work ;-)

>> I´ve filed a bug-report against samba 2.0.7, so let´s just sit back,
>> wait&see.
>
>	Well, I've sent Eloy Paris (Debian's Samba maintainer) a
>	bugreport a looooog time ago (MONTHS ago) and didn't hear back
>	from him yet. :-(

Maybe Eloy gets too much direct mail (it´s that case with some things I
 maintain although they´re not software pakages) ;-)

cheers,
&rw
--
/  Ing. Robert Waldner  | Network Engineer | T: +43 1 89933  F: x533 \
\ <Waldner@KPNQwest.at> |    KPNQwest/AT   | Diefenbachg. 35, A-1150 /