apache again

Well, I gave up, trashed the disk and installed 2.2 from scratch.  Now
I've been installing/configuring Linux since 0.12.  This release really
takes me back to the good old days.  I installed about everything under
the sun including networking but when I look at the
/etc/init.d/networking file, there isn't a sign of a ifconfig
statement.  Where is the network adaptor supposed to be enabled?  I
searched all of init.d for it.  It isn't coming up. Nothing during the
installation asked me for any network values.  I ran linuxconfig and it
asked me for that info, but I can't seem to find where it put it.

I don't want to have to do a manual config for networking 'cause
previous debian releases didn't have to be, so what did I miss?

Dselect still sucks. 8(  Navigation is useless.

I recompiled the 2.2.17 kernel and I'm getting a rash of unresolved
symbols when I run depmod.  Any idea what that is all about?

Thanks,
Jim.