pppd and wvdial

Hi,

I've installed potato from CD-ROM, and am having a few problems.
My ppp connection was working okay for a day or two, but now it's
not. I'm using wvdial, and have previously connected to my ISP, so
I know the /etc/wvdial.conf (and /etc/resolv.conf) info is
correct, but here's what I'm seeing:

When I run wvdial, a ppp connection is opened. When I view
ifconfig, it's UP. I can ping the local IP, but not the remote
one. Further, when I kill wvdial, the ppp connection remains
present and UP in the ifconfig listing.

Also, I don't have traceroute installed! Surely there is a free
version of traceroute available. Any suggestions on where it's
located?

I'm new to this list, so if this question has been answered
before, pointers would be great.

Thanks in advance,
--
Tim Condit                                    tcondit@uu.net
UUNet Network Quality Services                  734-214-7548

.. I said that the only thing that would change that is if we didn't
report up the same chain of management .. he said that wasn't gonna
happen .. and I said .. then I don't know what you're gonna do.