Re: Exim Install & localhost configuration.

Alson van der Meulen <alsonm@linuxfreak.com> wrote:

>On Tue, Dec 05, 2000 at 01:07:46PM -0600, John Hasler wrote:
>> Alson writes:
>> > my direct-dilivered mail is always accepted
>>
>> Do you have a dynamic IP?
>Yup, and hostname like i0554.pvu.euronet.nl, possibly not recongized
>by other host as dynamic IP, they  can't really see the difference
>between static and dynamic ips, possibly by hostnames like
>13dyn53.dial.isp.net.

It would generally be done by consulting lists of IP blocks assigned
for dialup use by ISPs around the world, not by the textual name :-)

>what would be the use of rejecting dynamic SMTP hosts, since the from
>address is usually a non-dynamic host, i don't see the use of
>rejecting this kind of hosts.

Some people seem to think that because most U*E comes out of dynamic
IPs, most dynamic IPs are sources of U*E, and therefore block attempts
to deliver to them directly from such an IP. You might think that
they should just not allow relaying. Would any spammer try to deliver
every copy of each email directly? It wouldn't be very cost effective.
At least, that's my understanding of it, but it wouldn't be the first
time I've been wrong.

Get your own FREE E-mail address at http://www.linuxfreemail.com
Linux FREE Mail is 100% FREE, 100% Linux, and 100% yours!