Re: apt: http vs. ftp?

Harry Henry Gebel <hgebel@magpage.com> wrote:
>All this capability (which is great in those situations where you need
>it) is overkill for many applications. An HTTP connection on the other
>hand is very simple, the client makes a request and the server makes a
>reply (well, it's a little more complicated than that, but not very).
>Usually that's the end of the matter although it is possible to send
>another request and get another reply, but I don't know how many
>clients actually support this.

Keep-alive, you mean? Lots. I believe most reasonable web browsers
nowadays will hold connections open if possible, which tends to be
easier on web servers. You need either HTTP/1.0 with the Netscape
extensions or HTTP/1.1, but that hasn't really been an issue recently.

apt uses HTTP/1.1, so it can make use of this.