Re: apt: http vs. ftp?

On Tue, Dec 05, 2000 at 04:24:33PM -0600, Sam TH wrote:
> HTTP has less overhead, IIRC.  For example, resumable FTP transfers
> require passing additional data.  No such thing for HTTP.  By
> stripping out all the overhead, HTTP has fewer features, but is
> faster.

HTTP definitely  has less overhead and is better in any situation where you
know ahead of time what files you are looking for (like apt). However, I am
not sure what you mean when you say "no such thing for HTTP"? HTTP supports
partial transfers just fine, and doing so does require additional data to
be passed back and forth (specifically, where to resume the transfer).

--
Harry Henry Gebel, ICQ# 76308382
West Dover Hundred, Delaware