Re: Routing question

On Tue, Dec 05, 2000 at 11:58:48AM -0300, Eduardo Gargiulo wrote:
:I've tried your configuration and now I can ping the second interface (eth1) from the router, but not the other hosts. I run the following commands
:ifconfig eth1 netmask up
:route add -host eth1
:route add -host eth1
:route add -host eth1
:eth0 have and the router
:The netmask is

First I'm not sure, my suggestion will work so don't bang your head on
it for too long.

Some things to check though:

can you ping all machines from the box you're configuring

did you echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward

did you set the default gateway properly

Another thing to try is a netmask calculator to make sure is what you want.  In fact if you're going that far
figure out the masking you need on each interface so you don't have to
bother with static routing.

don't forget when playing with strange subnetting that the network
address and broadcast will change too (this calculator shows all the