Re: pump doesn't get ip

    EL>  Hi List!
    EL>
    EL> I have a problem configuring my debian potato to use dhcp. I'm
    EL> connected to the Internet via cable modem. The network card is
    EL> configured to irq=10 and io=0x300. The module is smc-ultra. The
    EL> card should be ok.
    EL>
    EL> When I start 'pump', it tries to get dynamic ip from server
    EL> using dhcp, but fails everytime. When 'pump' is trying to get
    EL> the ip, 'ifconfig' shows this:

[snip]

    EL> Does anyone have any ideas what's wrong. I used 'dhcpcd' in my
    EL> former debian, and I have tried it in this new installation but
    EL> without success.

Barring any problem with your network card, have you tried using another
dhcp client like "dhcp-client" ? I have never had any luck getting
Debian's Pump to talk to my @Home provider's DHCP server. dhcp-client
has always worked for me.

Had the same thing happen to me at work where I had been using
dhcp-client from a slink install on a slink box that was connected to
our internal network. Everything was working fine with dhcp-client. Then
after potato was released, I installed potato from scratch on that box
using the boot floppies. Pump refused to work during the install
(network install). Ended up doing a static IP configuration for the
install and then later switched to dhcp-client.

So, try either (1) using a static IP configuration instead of DHCP to
rule out any card problems; and if that works, try using dhcp-client if
you want to use DHCP.

--
Salman Ahmed
ssahmed AT pathcom DOT com