Re: appropriate compiler for kernel

(Jumping in, knowing next to nothing about Debian.)

Stuart Marshall schrieb:

> Hi,
>
> I use some kernel patches that cause trouble for the standard
> debian compiler.  The particular errors are like:

How old are those patches?

> I am told this is due to the standard gcc being more stringent in
> its handling of clobbers within inline asm statements than the old
> gcc (2.72).
> [...]
> there is a redhat package called kgcc [...] based on egcs 1.1.2.

Might be the right time to try some compiler (re-)builds
(from source) on your machine. Shouldn´t be a problem
with egcs and new gcc releases (or even snapshots).
RTFM, of course. For something as old as gcc 2.7.2,
even more RTFM.

Sorry, nobody else answered to the list,
scr