Re: how to watch VCD?

I finally found out the answer to my question (I'm the original poster in
this very thin thread).

To get things going, install the latest smpeg (smpeg-0.4.1 +) on top of the
latest SDL (SDL-1.1.6 +). I don't know about the .deb's or whether a kernel
patch is necessary. I compiled the *src.rpm's on my Linux-Mandrake 7.2. The
pertinent URLs however are <http://www.lokigames.com/development/smpeg.php3>
and <http://www.libsdl.org>. Xtheater <http://xtheater.sourceforge.net/> is
supposed to provide a nice buttons interface, but I haven't tried it out yet.

To actually play the VCD, type (in a console under X):
plaympeg --double /dev/cdrom

The --double option is to make the VCD window appear more viewable than a
Palm Pilot. Other options are:

        --noaudio            Don't play audio stream
        --novideo            Don't play video stream
        --fullscreen         Play MPEG in fullscreen mode
        --double or -2       Play MPEG at double size
        --loop or -l         Play MPEG over and over
        --bilinear           Use software bilinear filtering
        --volume N or -v N   Set audio volume to N (0-100)
        --scale wxh or -s wxh  Play MPEG at given resolution
        --seek N or -S N     Skip N bytes
        --help or -h
        --version or -V

The --seek option doesn't seem to work. You have to start at the absolute
beginning. You can pause the video, however, using the pertinent Linux
process management command (Ctrl-Z at the console) or its fancier X
equivalent. The gtk companion interface "gtv" appears unable to play VCD's.

My initial assessment: the audio is OK. The video appears a bit jerky. Now if
only somebody could suggest a possible way to link my computer to my TV --