Ruby 1.6: problems with libgtk and libgnome on Potato

I have downloaded the source of ruby 1.6 and its associated packages
from Woody, compiled it on my Potato system and installed it.

libgtk-ruby and libgnome-ruby work only partially.

When I try to run ruby on some libgtk examples, the following happens
(also with about any other libgtk-test program):

--------------------------
$ruby test1.rb
test1.rb:44: uninitialized constant CAN_DEFAULT (NameError)

$ruby drawing.rb
drawing.rb:32: [BUG] Segmentation fault
ruby 1.6.2 (2000-11-27) [i486-linux]
Aborted

ruby helloworld.rb works.

On libgnome-ruby I had a little more success.  However there are also
problems:

---------------------------------
$ruby app-helper.rb
app-helper.rb:85: parse error
app-helper.rb:114: parse error
      Gnome::App::PIXMAP_STOCK, Gnome::Stock::PIXMAP_BOOK_RED, 0, 0, ni; ],
                                                                        ^
app-helper.rb:117: parse error
etc.
----------------------------------

When I try to run some other test programs from libgnome-ruby, nothing
happens and there are no error messages.

I must mention that I installed some helix gnome packages from Storm
Linux.  Actually I just installed Storm's package system and the helix
packages came with it as part of the dependencies.

Other information:

$gtk-config --version
1.2.8

I an a ruby newbie and would like to explore libgtk-ruby and
libgnome-ruby on my potato system.

I hope somebody can help me to get it going.

Johann

--
J.H. Spies - Tel. 082 782 0336 / 023 55 11 568
     "Behold, happy is the man whom God correcteth.