Re: swap size

Quoting John Hasler (john@dhh.gt.org):
> David Wright writes:
> > I get the impression that the rule Swap = N * Physical RAM dates from the
> > time when men were men, swapfiles were swapfiles, and systems actually
> > swapped.
>
> I used to run System III on an Onyx (no paging: just swap).  No 2x rule.  I
> believe that some versions of BSD required that swap = 2 * physical RAM for
> reasons that have escaped me.

... and yet HP-UX, which is meant to be closer to SystemV than BSD,
says "The minimum recommendation is twice as much swap space as
physical memory." and "Swap space should not be less than the amount
of physical memory in your system." yet it is paging, not swapping.

Mind you, it would appear obvious that you can't swap between two
maximum-sized processes unless you have swap >= 2*RAM.

Cheers,